745 Seventh Avenue was originally designed for Morgan Stanley as a ‘build-to-suit’ 1.1 million-square-foot commercial office building with 14,000 square-foot adjacent public ‘pocket-park’ located partially within the Time Square Zoning District between 49th and 50th Streets. Conceived as a sister building to Morgan Stanley’s Headquarters at 1585 Broadway, the building was sold to Lehman Brothers after it was completed in the fall of 2001. The project was co-developed by Morgan Stanley and the Rockefeller Group that holds the lease on the 65,000 square-foot property.
The project went through a rigorous Urban Land Use Review Process (ULURP). The design team worked closely with Community Board 5 and the New York City Planning Department to satisfy the complex zoning and design requirements for the last piece of Rockefeller Center.
The 15,000 square feet of required signage was integrated into the architecture of the building. A new type of LED signage that is not ‘commercial,’ but rather site-specific, was created in collaboration with Imaginary Forces.
Lehman Brothers Headquarters won the 2001 Construction News Award.
Kohn Pedersen Fox, Kevin Kennon Design Principal
New York, NY 2001